The Magic Onions, a wonderful blogger who does fun, magical activities with her little ones quite frequently, passed me this blogshare so I decided to play along. So here I'm supposed to list 10 honest things about myself. Yikes! Buckle in.
1. I am one of the least patient people that I know. I don't like this about myself so it's something I'm continually working on. I'm particularly trying to have more patience with my kids. One of the ways I do this is by placing myself in their shoes and trying to see how I'd want my mom to react at any given time. It doesn't always work, but I'm trying.
2. I'm also one of the most dependable people that I know. Maybe that's why I was nominated Most Dependable my senior year in high school. At the time, I thought that was synonymous with boring. hmmm...
3. I'm a serious over-acheiver sometimes. I don't always like this about myself either. Remember the whole birthday post about living in the moment? I often have a hard time doing that. I graduated high school at 16, college at 19, got my first office job at 19, paid cash for my first car at 21, bought my first house at 22, and had my first child at 23, then I started wondering if I might be missing out on some of the best things in life by plowing through everything like that.
4. When I was a child, I always thought I'd have 4 kids and be done having children by the time I hit 30. (Don't ask me why; I'm an over-acheiver, remember?) When I was divorced with 1 child at 25, I thought there is no way that would happen. Then Paul and I got married and became an instant family of 5, and Finn was born when I was 29 1/2.
5. Sometimes I'm thought of as being a very crunchy mom with all the answers on raising a natural and green family by the Natural Living/Attachment Parenting group that I moderate on a local Mommies board. This makes me uncomfortable because I know how far I still have to go.
6. When Elizabeth was born, over 8 years ago, I knew nothing about being a crunchy, natural mom. There were many decisions I made to keep her as healthy as possible that started me down the path I'm now on, but I still cringe at some of the decisions I made because I didn't know any better back then.
7. My favorite color is orange. I think it's the most undervalued color in society. JMO
8. I've seen Harry Connick Jr in concert 7 times, in nearly every city in NC. I'm not obsessed or anything.
9. I used to have a serious ice cream addiction. It was a rare day that I didn't eat ice cream at least once. When I got pregnant with Elizabeth, the ice cream-love just went away. Just like that. It didn't make me nauseous or anything, the desire just left. In an interesting turn of events, Finn was highly dairy-allergic as a baby, and I couldn't eat ANY dairy products at all for over a year. As hard as avoiding dairy was, can you imagine how hard that would have been with an ice cream addiction still intact?!
10. I never thought I'd stick with this blogging thing. I've never kept a diary or anything else that required constant, near-daily attention of this variety. I only started because poor Finn had less baby-toddler pictures than any of the other kids so I thought it would be a good thing to force me to take more photos and chronicle events in their lives. Look at me now!
I'm nominating a few people who I'd like to hear an Honest Scrap from:
Melissa - The World More Beautiful
Jenni - Little Callahans
Lisa - 5 Orange Potatoes
Nicole - Frontier Dreams
Jessica - Turkey Cookies
Jane - By the Maple Tree